Tour operators play a major role in influencing responsible travel through the holiday packages they design and offer to clients. Your business can support responsible travel in Africa by promoting Fair Trade Tourism certified tourism products and by packaging and selling Fair Trade Holidays. Tour operators who promote Fair Trade Holidays need to be approved by Fair Trade Tourism by pledging support for Fair Trade Tourism’s principles and agreeing to package and promote holidays in which at least 50% of the bed nights or activities featured are spent at certified tourism establishments or those certified by a mutually recognised certification scheme in Africa.
How do I get approved?
Tour operators wishing to be approved by Fair Trade Tourism need to demonstrate their commitment to Fair Trade Tourism principles and to actively promote Fair Trade Tourism certified products and Fair Trade Holidays. There are three ways in which a tour operator can be approved:
- If you are already a Tourcert certified operator, you will be automatically approved to package and sell Fair Trade Holidays as a result of a formal mutual recognition agreement signed between Fair Trade Tourism and TourCert in 2013.
- If you are already a Travelife certified operator, you will also be automatically approved to package and sell Fair Trade Holidays.
- If you wish to be independently approved, you need to sign the Fair Trade Tourism Code of Conduct, which commits your business to fair, transparent and sustainable business practices, fair supplier relationships, transparency with customers, and active support of Fair Trade Tourism Holidays and products.
You will need to display your commitment to the Fair Trade Tourism Code of Conduct on your website and marketing collateral and you will need to demonstrate this commitment by providing supporting documentation if required.
How will you benefit?
There are considerable benefits to becoming a Fair Trade Tourism approved tour operator, including:
- Playing a lead role in promoting sustainable tourism suppliers to discerning travellers;
- Enhancing your credibility by displaying the Fair Trade Tourism Approved and Fair Trade Holiday logos in your promotional material and on your website;
- Increasing market access by being showcased on the Fair Trade Tourism website and other Fair Trade Tourism marketing channels;
- Working with fellow operators to promote Fair Trade Tourism through the value chain.
If you are already a Tourcert or Travelife Certified operator and wish to market Fair Trade Holidays, notify us and we will send you a label use agreement to sign which entitles you to use the Fair Trade Tourism Approved and Fair Trade Holiday logos.
If you wish to apply for independent approval, contact us for a copy of the Fair Trade Tourism Code of Conduct, sign it and return it to us.
You need to commit to publishing your support for Fair Trade Tourism on your website or other public platform within 30 days of signature.